[T3] 69 type III fastback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Nov 4 11:50:15 PST 2013

On 4 Nov 2013 at 10:38, Hunt Williams wrote:

> I have opportunity to restore 69 fastback.
> Body & engine in good condition.
> Needs all new wiring, paint & interior.
> Any suggestions?
> Worth fixing?
> Best place to get parts?

'69 is a great year. It's got the classic early body style as well as
IRS, 12 V, and fuel injection. (Is it still FI? I hope so.)

As for parts, the best thing to do is to ask here first for specific
items. Some parts will be hard or impossible to find new, but good
used parts are often available from people here. In general, opt for
good used OG parts over new, because new parts are often Beetle
parts, which are often slightly different, or are not as well made as
the originals.

I suggest that you not try to replace all your wiring. Just repair
what you have. There are new FI harnesses available; they are good,
but they are expensive. Good used ones might be had if you want to
save money.

Main advise: Get your car running and the bugs sorted out BEFORE you
start working on the cosmetic stuff. Do it the other way around and
you may discover that you don't have enough money to finish the job.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org