[T3] It's the little things

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sun Nov 10 13:10:32 PST 2013

It may have the wrong condensor on there. The Beetle condensor has a shorter
lead. I measured the capacitance of a whole bunch of Bosch condensors many
years ago at my FLAPS. That taught me that the capacitors themselves are all
the same. The only difference is in the leads, fittings, and connectors.

Type 3s got condensors with longer leads because of where their coils were
mounted. If your condensor is a Bosch, it will have a number stamped on its
top end. For your '72, the last 3 digits should be 220.

I usually wrap the lead around the front (front is front) of the distributor
and under the generator, to the coil. That's usually neat and out of the
way. If you have the right condensor, there's plenty of length to do that.

Glad to hear that your simple fix helped.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

I got it rerouted fine. Me or one of my students (don't remember who) just
had it running in an awkward way.  The condenser was the one you installed
when you rebuilt the distributor last year and the coil I got from you as
well.  It's running fine now.   Just wanted to point out that sometimes when
you think it's something big it isn't.  Just the auto mechanics teacher in
me.

Dennis