[T3] Damaged Engine Case...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Nov 11 19:33:10 PST 2013

On 11 Nov 2013 at 15:25, J. Jonik wrote:

> A while back, the 72 engine in my 71 had to be pulled because of too
> much crankshaft play as indicated at the fan pulley.  Apparently that
> had something to do with crank bearings and the case....meaning the
> case was shot. Replaced now with my last spare engine from a 73.   That
> works fine...despite periodic events with distributor and the usual
> suspects.
>
> Question is...now that I have fly wheel and fan off, and everything
> else...is there any way to tell if the crankshaft is damaged? Or if
> the case is indeed beyond hope (except selling to scrap yard)?  Or if
> that bang bang in-and-out play is more about just the bearings?   Will
> I see case damage when I split the case?

The excess play will be due to the #1 main bearing coming loose in
the case. That bearing has flanges to take thrust from the crank and
flywheel, but once it gets loose it beats against the case and wears
into the case. That can be fixed with a main bearing set that's
larger on the OD and narrower between the flanges. RIMCO is the place
to get this fixed. They can provide the necessary bearings and
machine the case to fit. Make sure you let them know what diameter
your crank journals will be. The bearing sets are available in all
combinations of ID, OD, and Thrust, so you want them to give you the
right set.

BTW, a good used crank is often still good in the orig journal size.
I prefer to use good unground cranks because they are stronger, have
more of the hardened journal surface left, and still have the full
radius in the corners. If you're going for a special engine, Berg can
weld counterweights to a stock crank, straighten it, and still keep
the stock OD journals.

You'd probably be wise to take this engine apart and start working to
rebuild it nicely. Otherwise, you're living with a used engine and
borrowed time. It won't last forever, so why not be prepared?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org