[T3] FI to Carb conversion

Tony Rongey trongey at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 17 14:48:23 PST 2013

Terrie,
I hope you're just trolling the list with this post.  Otherwise you've been robbed, and things are going to go downhill from here.
For $6000 you could have bought 2 or 3 FI motors ready to drop in and go.  On top of that if your (new) mechanic is asking you to ask us how to make the conversion then he's not a mechanic, at least not a qualified VW mechanic.  Expect another $6000-$10000 before you get the conversion done with that guy.
I'm not a FI purist, but I have personally built two FI Type 3 motors from the ground up with the help of people on this list and The Samba.  It's really not that hard, and 95% of the failures will be broken wires.  Right now I'm trying to get dual carbs working on a T4 motor in another Square.  I've been working at it for over a year and it's still not right.  If I'd been smart I would have bit the bullet and done all the digging to find the FI parts for that car, but I've been trying to use the parts that came with it.
If you're for real then it's your car, and your choice, but do yourself a favor and find a real mechanic first.

Tony
'70 Fastback AT/FI daily driver