[T3] FI to Carb conversion

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sun Nov 17 15:53:08 PST 2013

In a message dated 11/17/2013 5:48:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
trongey at sbcglobal.net writes:

Terrie,
I hope you're just trolling the list with this  post.  Otherwise you've
been robbed, and things are going to go downhill  from here.
For $6000 you could have bought 2 or 3 FI motors ready to drop  in and go.
On top of that if your (new) mechanic is asking you to ask us  how to make
the conversion then he's not a mechanic, at least not a qualified  VW
mechanic.

I believe her and her husband put that 6K into getting the car going,
along with the cost of the car. She had been driving it, up until it started
having issues. I believe she's got a Jim Adney fuel vent hose kit on it, after
 they replaced the fuel tank (rusted out), and has had it to 2 different
mechanics, who would get it to run ok for a couple of days, then it would
have  problems, go back to the mechanic for more work, only for it to return
again.  I think she's been fighting that issue for over a year now.
That kind of stuff will leave a bad taste in your mouth after a while. I
know, as I've been there myself, and I do all of my repair work. When you go
thru the entire system several times, and don't find the problem, it gets
really frustrating. Test after test, and you get results that say everything
 is fine. You spend 500 bucks for a new FI wiring harness, only to find
out that didn't do anything. You buy up extra parts, and swap them in, only to
 find out there's no change. After not driving the car for 6 months, you
begin  to ask why you haven't fixed it, or sold it. :O
Others here have converted to carbs, and have had great results. They
enjoy driving the car again. They don't have FI issues to worry about.
Sometimes, that change is for the good.

The biggest issues I've ever had with running carbs, were a bad coil,
forgetting to re-set the points, and having the spring side of the points fall
out of the plastic piece that supports them (they grounded out). I haven't
had  jetting issues (with either brand), or anything like that. I do have a
carb  sync tool, and I do check that every spring, but that's it.

I remember when I first joined this list back in 2000. The most common
threads were about FI troubles (and I had carbs, so I didn't post much back
then). If you go to the Samba, you'll find similar threads about FI problems
there too.

Are carbs for everyone? No. But the same can be said for FI as  well.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction