[T3] FI to Carb conversion

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Nov 17 19:29:56 PST 2013

On 17 Nov 2013 at 18:43, James Lingenfelter wrote:

> Once  the carbs were installed and jetted, not once in ten years did a
> tool  ever touch them.... not even to sync them. Can anyone say that
> about  the F. I.?

Sure, I can. Most of my FI cars have never needed any FI repairs,
other than things like fuel hose, which you should replace on any car
occasionally. They also get new voltage regulators when the old ones
go bad, but I don't think you should blame that on the FI.

My cars typically get the dwell, timing, and valves checked once a
year and the oil changed as necessary. That's all they need.

My last (STUMPED?!!) incident turned out to be a bad rotor, not a FI
problem. My '71 has driven cross country to 4 different invasions
with no FI problems. It got a new R head during the first trip, but
that was a valve seat problem that was pre-existing, not a FI problem
either.

I'd like to add one more comment. I have nothing against carbs. I
happen to think the FI is better, but carbs are fine. The question in
this case is what Terrie should do since she's not planning to do any
of this work herself. Should she continue to let mechanics who don't
understand her FI try to fix it, or should she let someone who
doesn't understand carbs install and set up a set of dual carbs for
her. My opinion is that this is a Hobson's Choice: There's no good
option here. She needs door #3: Either get this car to someone who
understands either the FI or the carbs, one or the other. My
preference would be to get the FI fixed, because that would be the
cheapest way to go.

In the end, the question is which will be easier to find: a D-jet FI
guy or a good carb guy. Both are hard to find these days. Both will
be available at the Invasion.

One more thing: if Joy's problem is dirt/rust in the gas tank, this
will continue to haunt her either way. Her mechanic installed my
overflow kit, but that doesn't do anything about the rust & dirt
that's already there. It's a lot of work to get rid of all that, and
it's likely that her mechanic didn't do it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org