[T3] Opposite of Terri's problem

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 15:47:31 PST 2013

The idle cut off valve is no. 41 on this carb picture.
 http://home.clara.net/hallvw/type3/T3pbo/T3pb1-46d.htm

It's on the outer side of the carb, not round the back (front?).  The main
jet cover and main jet behind it are fitted there.  If you've no main jet
cover (13mm wrench?) there's no fuel in the float chamber!  The main jet may
be there OK, but you will get a massive fuel leak - most of what is pumped
into the carb will run out again.

No 39 is the main jet cover, which is just a threaded plug/cap (13mm I
think).  The main jet is no. 38, and is a slotted screw.  It can be a bit
fiddly to get into the hole unless the carb is off.

I suggest you remove both carbs and check them over carefully to see what's
what.  There are lots of things that may not be right, but even balancing
isn't too hard when you've done it a few times, and the balance pipe between
the two carbs feeds mixture to the other carb if they aren't balanced.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club