[T3] FI to Carb conversion

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 15:55:21 PST 2013

I have a stock '71 twin carb on a Squareback, and a '72 FI on a Fastback.
The performance from both is pretty similar, but the twin carb pulls well at
higher rpm, while the FI pulls well at all RPM, and generally has a more
'sparkly' performance. I guess any performance would go well with you at the
moment!

They both have a dual vacuum distributor (only fitted to 71 twin carb and
'72 FI, but I'm lucky that they both still work.
Your mechanic may need some info on suitable distributors to use if the dual
vacuum mechanism isn't working properly.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club