[T3] Opposite of Terri's problem

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 04:30:25 PST 2013

Just a note about those electromagnetic idle jets.  Don't gas-up full and
park with the front steeply uphill unless you have the cut-off jets fitted.
Fuel can flow into the cylinder and lock the engine.  If you try a rolling
start, it could bend a con-rod.

We had a hydraulic lock occur on a '64 1500S which didn't have these fitted
originally, and the starter wouldn't turn the engine over, but fortunately,
my father just let the car roll down into the street and left it, and a
couple of hours later when he tried again, it was fine.  The service manager
showed dad a bent conrod from someone who had tried to bump start theirs
when they had the same thing happen.

It should be a g50 idle jet (not a 55).

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club