[T3] Opposite of Terri's problem

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Nov 19 17:46:56 PST 2013

On 19 Nov 2013 at 20:24, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/19/2013 4:12:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> jadney at vwtype3.org writes:
>
> On 18 Nov 2013 at 21:37, Keith Park wrote:

> Isn't that part actually 2 pieces: the electrical  part with a
> plunger, plus a jet cap, that comes in different sizes. They  were
> only sold together, but is it possible for only the electrical part
> to back out? If that happened, would the leak be smaller?
>
> Yes, they are 2 piece. And yes, only sold together as one.
> I don't think I've ever seen one come apart. I believe they are screwed
> together, but it probably is loctited together.

I'm pretty sure I've taken one apart, if only to clean something out.
Yes, the 2 parts screw together. This may have been on a non-VW, but
I believe the construction is the same.

Both parts are brass, so it will be obvious if he finds a brass
"insert" in his zinc carb body.

It's quite possible that they always come apart at the zinc/brass
interface because the zinc is softer or because of the differential
expansion there.

BTW, if you need a larger jet, I have a set of clockmaker's tapered
reamers that would do this job really nicely, and with great control
and precision. You can buy a set on ebay. Like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clock-Broaches-12Pcs-/231021079088

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org