[T3] Automatic Transmission Options

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Nov 25 08:20:35 PST 2013

In a message dated 11/25/2013 9:00:53 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org writes:

OK that makes since.  I don't think I have ever heard that  called flash.
All my drag race and hot rod friends call it stall.   Like they will say
they
have a 3000 rpm stall converter or if they have a  really wild car 5000 rpm
stall. My be a southern thing I know we call  manual trans a straight shift
instead of a stick shift like folks up north  and out west do.  Flash dose
sound flasher.  Good things to know  if I do ever get another T-3 with an
auto.

They're similar in terms, but our stall speed is closer to 1600 rpms,
versus where it'll "flash" (about 500 rpms more). The "flash" speed of  the
converter is more where it tries to "lock up", even though it doesn't  really do
a "lock up" in the sense of the modern version of "lock up"  converters.
That's why it doesn't take a lot of throttle pedal (engine  speed) to get our
AT cars to move. ;-) VW designed the AT to give similar  mpg that the 4
speed has, along with the lessons learned from the "autostick"  (a clutchless 3
speed manual).

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction