[T3] Clutch fork!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Nov 30 22:24:22 PST 2013

On 30 Nov 2013 at 10:16, Robert Klein wrote:

> I had a 68 squareback I had to stand on the clutch to keep it down,
> and it would never fully disengage. I took it to everyone and no
> results, stock clutch and everything. It ended up being the j-tube. I
> never ended up being able to fix it :( sold it first. Due to moving
> and such.

I also had a '68 square that developed a very stiff clutch. I went
thru several engine removals before discovering that I had a very
beautiful Luk pressure plate that had a fatal flaw: The fulcrum
points for the operating arms were small, so they wore away, until
the arms came to rest on a different part, which completely changed
the mechanical advantage. Replacing the PP with a Sachs unit
completely fixed the problem, but not before I had suffered thru a
couple years of very stiff pedal.

I finally figured out the Luk PP problem when I noticed the little
marks where the operating arms hit (where they shouldn't have.)

Both units were diaphram style PPs. I don't think there's anything
wrong with that concept. They work perfectly well and provide very
even pressure. It's the Belleville washer concept, and it's a very
simple engineering solution. Over the years they've actually
simplified them a lot, and that's part of the beauty of the design.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org