[T3] Brake Hose Bracket, etc.

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Fri Nov 1 06:08:22 PDT 2013

In a message dated 11/1/2013 12:12:47 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
pfeilmat at sbcglobal.net writes:

If the hose is wearing internally, sometimes they can form flaps  that act
as check valves, keeping fluid pressurized to brakes after the pedal  is
released. Matt P
New Guy to this list.
71 Squareback

> On  Oct 31, 2013, at 9:09 PM, "J. Jonik" <j_jonik at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> How the heck can one diagnose a Brake Hose going bad internally?

Basically it's like Matt said above. When you release the brakes  (take
your foot off the pedal), and you still feel some dragging at low speed,
that's collapsed hoses. The thing is, if you ignore that drag when the brakes
are still cold, the next time you use them (once they've warmed up), the drag
is even more noticeable, because the fluid has expanded in the lines
building  pressure and keeping the calipers energized.

In my case, I thought the PO had replaced the master cylinder with the
wrong one (1 with compensating valves/ports according to Bentley), so I
swapped it again, only to have the same issue. At this point, only the hoses
hadn't been replaced, as it now had a new master cylinder, new calipers, and
new front rotors (they were worn below their limit), so I replaced the hoses,
and everything was good to go. Lesson learned, that these hoses collapse
internally. I'd never ran into it before, but then all of my experience prior
 was with domestic vehicles, and those crack externally when they go bad.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction