[T3] Damaged Engine Case...

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 11 15:25:19 PST 2013

A while back, the 72 engine in my 71 had to be pulled because of too much crankshaft play as indicated at the fan pulley.  Apparently that had something to do with crank bearings and the case....meaning the case was shot.
   Replaced now with my last spare engine from a 73.   That works fine...despite periodic events with distributor and the usual suspects.

Question is...now that I have fly wheel and fan off, and everything else...is there any way to tell if the crankshaft is damaged? Or if the case is indeed beyond hope (except selling to scrap yard)?  Or if that bang bang in-and-out play is more about just the bearings?   Will I see case damage when I split the case?

Then, what the heck to do with the flywheel, fan pulley, all the tin, dip stick shaft, rods & pistons and all that?  I've got duplicates of all of it...which pretty much never goes bad.  Shipping costs would be high due to weight.

I hate to have it go to waste.  Maybe a Mini-Invasion can swing my house some day. I'll have a "Pay Half of What You Think It's Worth" sale...or trade stuff....or whatnot.