[T3] Opposite of Terri's problem

Know One knowonelse at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 19 20:28:17 PST 2013

Well, I have been warned not to do this, but since I already have a loose fit between the solenoid and the carb, I figure it can't do much worse damage.

One problem is that those things are very difficult to tighten against the carb once the carb is in place. So, I fitted a regular old hose clamp onto the solenoid. This allows me to tighten up the solenoid by hand. I also positioned the screw portion of the clamp such that it provides a bit of rotational force in tightening the threads all the time. Yeah, it puts additional weight on the joint, but it works.

Those things were always coming loose on me.I got to the point where I could feel and hear the engine doing something and I knew it was the solenoid, so I just went in back and tightened them up by hand. After doing this a bunch of times greasy, I hit upon the idea of adding the hose clamps first as a way to provide leverage for hand tightening as getting a wrench in there was difficult.

Jeff '67 Sqbk

It's quite possible that they always come apart at the zinc/brass