[T3] Oil weight once more

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Nov 20 06:51:20 PST 2013

On 19 Nov 2013 at 20:59, Brian Fye wrote:

> The oil ran hotter because it was pulling the heat better.  What were the
> head temps?  That IS the question.

This is an interesting question. Hotter oil could be the result of
several possible causes: better heat removal from the heads, poorer
heat delivery to the oil cooler, and/or greater friction losses in
the engine. The latter seems unlikely, but what if the synthetic
caused some dirt to come loose somewhere and clog up part of the oil
cooler?

Berg has a comment somewhere that he doesn't like the synthetics
because they don't transfer heat well. I'm skeptical of that, but I'd
like to see specific heat numbers on it to be convinced.

Brian is right about the head temps. That's where the answer lies.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org