[T3] Type three guess the year

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Oct 4 18:00:52 PDT 2013

That sounds very interesting, Edward.

Is there a chassis (VIN) number on the floorpan under the back seat?  It's
on the tunnel top.

A number of convertible Type 3s were made based on the Notchback, but they
didn't go into series production as they couldn't make the chassis rigid
enough with the roof cut off, even with extra floor girders and body
stiffening structure, which was quite intrusive.

Some people have adapted them from Notchbacks, copying the reinforcement to
match the prototypes.  I doubt if any genuine ones exist outside of museums
- I know of 2 genuine ones, and 2 converted ones in Europe, also I've a
photo of a silver late Type 3 cabrio, but I don't recall where that came
from (I've a feeling it was somewhere in South America).

Photos of chassis number 0 000 054 ('No. 54') show aluminium bullet
indicator castings, not wrap-round.

While the foot dipswitch was fitted on Beetles to 1960, I've never heard of
it on a Type 3, but who knows - they tried all sorts of different things on
the pre-production models.

When you say internal fuel inlet, do you mean it's under the bonnet (front
luggage compartment)?  Usually there's a date marked on some instruments
such as the fuel tank sender, and on the speedo.  For example No 54 has 2.61
(Feb 1961) in a triangle on the fuel sender.

If you can read the chassis number, things may become clearer.  There are so
many things that bolt on, it's almost impossible to be sure what was there
originally.

Whether an original factory-produced convertible, or maybe an Australian
attempt to see if they could overcome the chassis stiffness problems, it
sounds an interesting vehicle.  Do you have any photos of it?

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club