[T3] EFI conversion

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Oct 5 07:19:08 PDT 2013

On 4 Oct 2013 at 14:06, SAW DUST wrote:

> My 67 Notch has been sitting for maybe 14 years. My motor is close to
> being finished and now has an EFI system installed.

Which EFI are you installing, OE Bosch D-jetronic, or something
aftermarket? I assume you understand that the OG FI only started with
the '68 models. The only thing you have going for you with the '67 is
the fact that it is 12 V.

> There has to be 2 fuel lines. I'm going to keep OG fuel line as the
> return line and I need to install a new .25" main fuel line. I would
> like to run the new fuel line along side the original fuel line
> through the tunnel.

The OE Bosch system used 8 mm tubing for those lines, but I suspect
the '67 cars came with a 6 mm line, which would be more restrictive.
I'd be tempted to make at least one of your lines 5/16" (= 8 mm) to
get the restriction down, and use that line as your main line. It
would be even better to make both 5/16". If some of your tubes are
smaller, you'll also have to adapt the size to the rest of the FI
fittings which will be 8 mm.

The single fuel line would have run inside the tunnel on the left
side. VW added the second line on the right side, also inside the
tunnel. The main thing to worry about would be that you stay clear of
the clutch cable mechanism at the pedal cluster. You'll want to
remove the shift knob so you can see down there. And, as someone else
mentioned, this would all be easier if you have the body off the pan.

>    Also, the placement of the Electronic Fuel Pump? I'm guessing close
> to the fuel tank but if there is a specific location or bracket /
> mounting system that is tried and true. I would like to know.

The OE system came with a shield and brackets which fit into and
behind the right side "window" in the front axle beam.

> Has anyone attempted this on their Type3 ? Any insight or direction ?
> Web site or tutorials?? Thanks in advance !

It's a LOT to attempt and I don't know why you would do it, other
than for the challenge. Restoring, or upgrading, to the OE dual carbs
would also be just as rewarding, probably less expensive, and would
result in a really nice car. If you're trying to put an OE Bosch FI
into a '67 car, you'll have to do some cutting that won't be undoable
to mount the brain, and it will be hard to do neatly and accurately.

There are a few wires to run thru places that will be challenging. I
suspect you'll have a very hard time duplicating everything unless
you have a working FI car to do side by side comparisons, since
you're not already familiar with all the details.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org