[T3] Pop Out Window

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Oct 15 07:37:53 PDT 2013

In a message dated 10/15/2013 1:13:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

On 14 Oct 2013 at 20:46, Adam Douglass wrote:

> I am  looking at a 1970 Squareback that does not have pop-out windows.
> I was  wondering if the provision for pop-out windows was in all cars?
> Can I  easily put in a set of pop-out, or are the two slots you put
> them in  missing?

Sounds like it's not actually a '70, as all '70s came with  the
popouts, but '71s did not.

Look at the VIN. The third digit is  the year: zero for '70, one for
'71. A '70 square should look like 360 2  xxx xxx, but if it's a '71
it will be 361 2 xxx xxx. And similarly for '72  & '73.

It's also possible that a PO (Previous Owner) removed the pop outs, and
installed stationary glass and seals. My old 69 Square was like that when I
purchased it.

A quick way to tell IF it's a 70, is to look at the wiper arms, or the  C/D
post (depending on the body style) at the rear of the car. A 70 will have
the wipers parked on the left and no C/D post vents, while a 71 will park
the  wiper arms on the right and have vents in the C/D posts.

If it really is a 70, then all of the important parts for re-installing
the pop outs will be there. But, IF it's actually a 71, then it'll be missing
those parts (VW deleted them when they added the vents to the rear posts).
That said, there are ways around it to install pop outs, but some require
cutting and welding, or thinking outside the box.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction