[T3] Automatic Transmission Conversation

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Tue Oct 15 07:55:10 PDT 2013

In a message dated 10/15/2013 9:19:18 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
one4house at yahoo.com writes:

Crew,

I want to know more about the type 3 automatic  transmission. I am working
on a deal that will net me (what I was told was) a  1970 Squareback. It is
an Arizona car. It looks great for its age, runs and  drives, but needs some
work.

In talking about the current state of the  car he made mention

"These auto stick
shifts gum up the servo when  they sit and need the tranny to be serviced
and
cleaned."

I am 100%  new to the type 3 auto. Is this statement indeed true as far as
only needing  servicing, or should I expect bigger problems? Is a general
transmission  service going to alleviate the issues it has or should I plan on
rebuilding  this tranny? He made mention of it getting stuck in 3rd gear.

Also, I  heard that these transmissions are sensitive to vacuum
pressure..... basically  I want the "what to look for when buying a type 3 auto." I
want to know the  signs of a bad tranny. I want to be able to educate myself
real  quick.

He also said:

"The engine is a GEX
that the  previous owner had done 25-30k miles ago. It was sitting  for 3
years  in his garage with minimal use. I have had it for 2 years. I start
it  at
least every 2-3 days with occasional spin around the cudlesac."

I  have not heard good things about the GEX rebuilt motors, but this one is
still  going after 30,000 miles. What else should I look out for with a car
that has  spent most of its recent life sitting around?

My intention is a daily  driver. I am not one to let my classics sit around
and collect dust. It is  time to get this car in driveable condition and
put it on the  road.

Class is in session.Educate me, please. A little background on  me; I have
been working on cars all of my life. I have a history with type 1's  to the
level of having owned 5 in my lifetime. You won't have to dumb it down  for
me.

Mike has already pointed out that the trans itself is a Borg Warner  model
003 trans, and it was used in buses as well as other later model VWs  (after
production ended for type 3s). They are a hearty beast of a trans,
designed to give long life. Complete rebuild kits are available thru Bulk  Part,
and any good transmission shop should be able to rebuild it (you may  have to
pull it out of the car for them, and take your brown Bentley to  them
though). My biggest guess, is that it probably needs a fluid and  screen change
(uses Dextron fluid), and a check of the diff fluid (uses  80-90 weight), to
make sure no ATF has leaked past the seal into it (it can  damage the diff).
After that it probably just needs to be driven to get the  fluid moved
around.

As for the GEX engine, you'd have to ask Brian Fye about them, as  he's
probably got the most knowledge with them. I too have only heard bad  things
about them, but I'm sure a couple of good ones got out to the public.  ;-)

Other than that, expect to go thru all of the mechanicals  (brakes, front
and rear suspensions), to make sure all of the required  maintenance is done
(most PO's don't do it all), along with checking the  entire electrical
system (PO's like to re-wire them for some reason), to make  sure everything
works. I only mention that, as these are 40+ year old cars,  and are bound to
have some sort of "owner mods" done to them, to keep them  going. :O

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction