[T3] Clementine

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sat Oct 26 15:18:59 PDT 2013

Hmmm, bet you are right, as perked up when she heard a Subaru wasserboxer
start up a few years ago in front of a class I was at. Though, you all bring
up an interesting point; what makes the boxer engine a unique sound? More
than valves, as the Volvo has them (something is clanking despite hydraulic
valves) and the Mercedes is solid.

Also, an added factor is the sunroof in both the Volkswagen and the
Mercedes.
In the latter, it has a center armrest which she stands on so she can have
hear head out the sunroof. Must look odd seeing a dog head sticking up!
l.o.l.
Only issue is the slobber sometimes gets on the glasses.

So in short, boxer engines have advantages over other formats, one of which
is a pleasing sound even without a muffler.

Thank you!
Adriel

-------------------------

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - Located in Coastal San Diego County
1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TD-T - Dog Wgn
Master's Student, A.S.U., living in north central Mesa, AZ

My theory is that Boxers 4 cylinders have split exhaust manifolds and in
lines 4 have a single one.  Just like the differents you hear between an in
line 6 cylinder and a V6 or even a boxer 6.  I've always noticed a Porsche
911 or Chevy Corvair sounds closer to a V6 than an in line.  Also in from
the late 80s to the mid-90s Ford started to put a split manifold on their
300 (or 4.9) in line 6 that they put in their F-150 pick ups. If you ever
heard one of these trucks with a bad or no muffler you would think it had a
V6 from the sound.  So I think it's the split manifold but I could be wrong.

Dennis