[T3] It wasnt the gas...

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sat Oct 26 17:31:45 PDT 2013

Well I bundled up like Nanook of the north today and did a compression check
on the 71, fully expecting at 137Kmi and no low end power That the
compression had finally gone down but NO. in fact, with 120 114 116
114 it was just fine, even #1 which was a 90 at the last tuneup was back
where it should be.(Ive seen that before).  This motor didn't use much oil
on the last run to Virginia and back either so I I looked into things
further..

Well..

I found the timing was WAY retarded, 7-8deg ATDC roughly, so I found the
point gap closed up quite a bit and that accounted for quite a bit but
still, it was retarded.  Not sure how that happened, the dist was tight, the
points and timing was done maybe 7Kmi ago.  the lubripoints generally don't
wear the rubbing block but maybe the newer manufactured ones aren't as good,
I had lubed the cam and that looked fine but I had to reset them.  Once the
points were gapped and timing set the low end was back!  Sure glad were not
dealing with gas problems, at least not worse than the summer blend was.

Also glad that it looks like this engine is going to be around for a while
yet, I have some long trips planned in the spring and of course the invasion
in June.

Gotta keep a closer eye on timing, with the Mark 10 the contacts don't wear
but the lobe still will.

Keith

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com
71 Squareback "Hothe"
65 Notchback "El Baja Rojo"
65 Squareback "Eggcrate"
87 golf "Winterat"
93 RX7 "Redstur"

Sounds like you have the rings that refuse to die.  How's the weather up
there? We had our first frost and freeze here in the last couple of days. It
gave me a chance to try out Clementine's heater and it works good. Couldn't
leave it on for long worked too good.

Dennis Stiefel