[T3] Turn signal help after Bentley test

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 22:25:46 PDT 2013

I am having a hard time debugging the turn signals on my 1972 Squareback.

My problem:
Left turn signal blinks slow (once) then the fast blink.  Right turn signal
blinks as it should.  If I turn on the headlights, however, the right turn
signal will switch to the fast blink.

I performed the test in Bentley (with key off, connecting +49 terminal of
emergency flasher to terminal 30 of fuse box and test turn signals) and
both left and right work perfectly, at the correct speed, regardless of
whether my headlights are on or off.  According to Bentley, this means my
switch and relay are OK.

What is left?  Presumably it is wiring, but what am I bypassing by directly
connecting +49 of the relay to terminal 30 of the fuse box?  Why can't this
be a permanent fix?

Thanks,

Jacob