[T3] Storing the '69 Square

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 11:12:18 PDT 2013

Yesterday was the day to put the Square "to sleep" until May 2013.

During the 65-mile drive from Lake Geneva, WI to the hanger in Oregon, WI
at 25-, 45-, to 62-mph, the car ran ... well, let's just say ... LOUSY!

I thought the first 30 miles or so was a repeat of my trip to see Jim about
3 weeks ago to check, ball joints, tie rods, etc.
That time I drove 30 miles, stopped for breakfast then drove the next 35
miles.

The first 30 miles the engine acted like it was cutting in and out; running
on 3, sometimes 4 cylinders, etc.

After breakfast, the engine had cooled down.
Back on the Interstate at 65 mph.  Everything cleared up; engine had power;
no missing ... ran flawlessly.
Jim thought the spark plugs may have been partially "fouled" and by running
at Interstate speeds, 65+, they "cleaned" themselves.  Return trip was
without any "missing".

However, yesterday was rainy, misty, one of those "yucky" days.

On the, non-stop, 65 mile drive to the hanger.  Same problem again.
Missing at all speeds.  25 to 62 mph.
When I got close to the hanger, I did fill the fuel tank with 91 Octane
(pure gas; NO Ethanol) before I took it to the hanger to be stored.  After
the "fill-up", engine partially cooled down, the last 6 miles, everything
seemed fine.

Was it water in the fuel when I started the trip?  Spark plug(s) fouled?
 Electrical connectors at the Injectors loose?  Injector grounds (with
Bellevile washers that Jim installed) loose?  Inside of the "dizzy" damp?
 Trigger point "damp"?

I cant figure it out.

Any other ideas?

Anyway, the car is in storage 'til May.