[T3] Type3 towbar?

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 11:48:26 PDT 2013

Is there such a thing as a type 3 tow bar?
Just asking because I may need one, time is running out to get the car
running well enough to take to Texas via short stay in Oklahoma.

Daniel Du Vall

David --

In May/June 2012, Jim Adney & Randy Malcook (NOT a Type 3 guy, but did the
fabrication) built a Base Plate which attaches to the Axle Beam.  Jim
convinced me that towing from the Axle Beam, is the CORRECT way to tow a
Type 3.

The front "termination" of the Base Plate attaches to a Blue Ox Aladdin Tow
Bar which we use to tow both our 1969 Type 3 Square and our 2000 Honda
Accord.  But converting it to a ball-type hitch would not be difficult.

I have lots of pictures.  If you wish to see them, P.M. me at
gbforsmo at gmail.com

Bob Heydt also has a tow bar which is much simpler in design, than mine.
 Bob's starts with a Beetle Tow Bar, I think.  I believe Bob is "out of
contact" right now.

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)
Lake Geneva, WI (summer)