[T3] PART:'73 Squareback Steering Column (27mm) steering wheel nut and the spring washer

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Sep 6 14:55:44 PDT 2013

On 6 Sep 2013 at 14:32, Henry Braithwaite wrote:

> for the life of me I cannot find these
> where can i?
>
> There are two of these bad boys holding the steering wheel/ignition/blinker
> assembly in place on the steering column
>
> when i got the car one of the nuts was cracked in half making everything
> wobbly
> since only one was holding it in place
> its actually warping the metal they sandwich in between

I'm a bit confused here, because your description doesn't sound
right.

Under the steering wheel there should be a single snap ring on the
steering shaft

Then the steering wheel goes onto the spline and slides down against
the snap ring.

On top of the steering wheel there should be a single large wavy
washer, followed by a single large nut.

I'm astonished that you have a broken nut. I've never seen that. And
there should be only one nut, not two. It should be impossible to
break that nut because it really doesn't have to be all that tight,
just snug enough to not come loose.

And these parts don't have anything to do with holding the ignition
or turn signal switchs in place. I'd suspect that we're talking about
different parts, except for the fact that you specifically mentioned
27 mm for the nut. There's only one such nut.

I have all of those parts in good used condition if you need them.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org