[T3] 71 SqrBack TurnSignal Switch & Exhaust

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Sep 12 22:15:22 PDT 2013

On 12 Sep 2013 at 23:47, Henry Braithwaite wrote:

> My original switch requires more of a brain surgeon to fix.
> I cannot for the life of me handle it with the gentleness required
> to re install it--i did once a year ago, cept when i hit the left or right
> signal, it just blinks all 4.
> the little greasy/gluey parts, balls, springs, metal strip do not like me.
>
> Does anyone have one 1971 (i heard this is the only year that used this one
> style and that reproductions are a POS)
>
> OR does anyone have good advice on how to fix it?

If all (or most of) the parts are there and unbroken, I can usually
put them back together. Like you say, it's delicate work and takes me
several hours. It's not cheap. I don't think you'll find NOS ones
anywhere and even good used ones won't be cheap. The ones I've seen
for sale new are not actually correct for '71, even if they are
advertized as such. Yes, It's a one year item.

> Lastly, stock exhaust, the kind that bends and sticks out on the drivers
> side at the last flange.  Why is it like looking for a unicorn to find one?
>  I bought a bugpack last year, only to try & install today to find out the
> connector's holes do not line up right (and it curves and sticks out the
> passenger side).

I have all the parts. They fit and work better than anything
aftermarket, but they are more expensive. They don't sound as loud as
the aftermarket stuff, which makes people think they must not be as
good, but they fit and work. I used aftermarket exhausts for many
years, but finally gave up trying to deal with parts that didn't
quite fit right so they kept leaking or coming loose.

One of the hard parts about using the OE mufflers is getting the old
"pipe union" stubs out of the little rear heat exchangers. That's
tough if you're not set up for it. I can also do that if yours are
frozen in there. (Next time, use anti-seize.)

Email me directly if you want more info.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org