[T3] Dome light questions

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Wed Sep 18 08:49:27 PDT 2013

I put a new headliner in my 1972 Squareback years ago and, at that time, I
did not re-install the dome lights.  My memory has since faded and I'd like
some help.

First question, how many interior dome lights were standard on a 1972
Squareback?  I know there is one above the driver.  Is there one on the
passenger side as well?  Bentley shows one in the luggage compartment, is
this only on Fastbacks & Notchbacks?

On the driver side, I was able to locate three wires.  Brown, brown/white,
and red.  The only problem is, the red wire does not get 12V.  Where is this
wire routed from (what is its path) and are there any inline connectors that
could have come undone?  Bentley does not show any inline connectors.

Thanks,

Jacob

Our Fastback has the light in the rear trunk.  The original one was melted
during a fuel hose fire I had when I was driving it in high school back in
83.  I couldn't find one like the original one but a Beetle dome light from
the same era will fit the slot in the metal the factory cut for it.  There
is a switch one the trunk hinge to turn it off when it's closed and it gets
its power from the right tail light so if you leave the trunk open all day
it will not pull the battery down. The light will only come on if the
headlights or park lights on and the trunk is open.  I'm surprised VW didn't
offer a light back there somewhere on the squares. It also serves as an
emergency engine light if the engine lid is removed.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
Rainsville, AL