[T3] Engine "missing"

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Sep 18 13:30:23 PDT 2013

On 18 Sep 2013 at 11:28, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> I took the '69 Square for a short errand yesterday.
>
> After driving 2 or 3 miles in 4th gear at 45 mph ... another 4 miles in 3rd
> -- in town at 25 mph ... I was back to 55 mph for several miles.  I felt
> like one cylinder was not firing intermittently.  Sometime "missing",
> sometimes OK.  We have had some rain recently and the Square is NOT garaged.

A few things to check:

1) Check the dwell, to see if the rubbing block on the points has
worn.

2) Check each SP connector for ~1000 Ohms. The resistors eventually
go open and leave a gap, which the spark will sometimes jump,
sometimes not.

3) Check the rotor for ~5000 Ohms. They go open on rare occasions,
same as the SP connectors.

4) Lie down on the ground behind your car and reach under the fan
housing with a stick or toothpick. Find the drain hole that's next to
the crack between the fan housing halves. Clear it out. Water can
collect there when it rains and then get blown onto the SPs when you
start the engine. This will give rough running until the engine gets
warm enough to dry everything off.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org