[T3] So rich

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Thu Sep 19 14:27:48 PDT 2013

This might well be the cause of your richness. It clearly sounds like
there's a bad connection there, and that would mean a voltage drop between
the battery and the FI system. Yes, that wire has to be in good shape. VW
set up the relay there so that the power did not have to run up to the
ignition switch and then all the way back to the brain. Putting a relay
under the back seat minimized the voltage drop, while also taking the load
off the ignition switch.

Nice catch!   ;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

Well I fixed that bad connection but it only helped a little. Still have the
deal where it smokes black smoke profusely when you first crank it along
with skipping because the plugs can't keep up with all the gas then as the
engine gets up to operating temperature it gets better but not completely
right.  After it gets warmed up it only smokes the black stuff the instance
you rev it up then clears up right after that but it will still burn your
eyes if you stand behind it for too long while it idles and speaking of
idling it still seems to idle to slow like about the 600 RPM range is my
guestimate without a tach.  I have the idle screw out as far as it will go
without it falling out and I have tried cleaning that circuit out around the
throttle plate. I took her out on the road illegally (no tag or insurance
just don't tell the cops around here) for a few miles. It drove OK but at
certain  RPMs(light throttle) it has a little skip and even hesitation in it
just enough to be annoying.  I'm guessing it has something to do with the
rich running deal but then again who knows one problem at a time.  Also I've
still got that oil leak around the oil pump.  Looks like when I get this
figured out and fixed I will have to pull the fan housing off and see what
that's all about and one of the axle seal on the trans is leaking.  Got 2
seals to replace both of them when I get all this other stuff addressed.
May try to do an update video tomorrow depends on how frogy I feel then.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
Rainsville, AL