[T3] Chrome

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Sep 24 05:39:51 PDT 2013

On 24 Sep 2013 at 6:55, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> Graves Plating in Florence, Alabama replated all the chrome pieces on my 60
> T1.  They did a good job.  I would not hesitate to use them again.  Here is
> their web address:
>
> http://www.gravesplating.com/

> I guess it was you who was telling me about the place in Florence Marion.

Maybe I couldn't see it very well, but your chrome didn't look that
bad to me, Dennis. To rechrome those bumpers, you'd need to remove
the rubber strip, and you won't be able to do that without destroying
it. And those strips are irreplacable.

I found that I was able to get the vast majority of the bumps out of
my bumpers with the help of a hydraulic press and some carefully made
wood blocks. A couple shapes of blocks to fit inside and outside,
around the rubber strip, will do wonders if you're careful and
willing to work slowly.

You'll want to take the bumper brackets off to do this, but that's
pretty easy, and that will let you straighten, sandblast, and paint
the brackets (black) if you haven't already.

I did mine working by myself, but having a second person to help hold
things would have made it go a lot faster.

I'll bet you've got one of those presses in your shop.

When I was finished I wirebrushed and painted the insides with alum
Rustoleum with a brush. The finished product wasn't perfect, but they
were a terrific improvement over the bent up bumpers I started with.

A little chrome polish on the outer face will help make any pits
there seem less obvious. You've probably already done that part.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org