[T3] Beam clamp wanted

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Wed Sep 25 07:40:33 PDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Jim Adney
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:15 AM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: [T3] Beam clamp wanted

Looking at Gary Forsmo's '69 square yesterday, it was clear that he needs a
new clamp piece for his front axle beam. This is one of the 2 parts that fit
over the front of the beam to clamp it in place.

Gary's has rusted thru at the bottom and towing the car by the axle beam
appears to have pulled it slightly apart. I don't think he should tow the
car again until that part has been replaced.

It's VW part # 311 705 237B. This clamp piece is the same for all Type 3s
from at least late '65-on. It's the one that the upper outer grease fitting
sticks thru. On earlier cars the grease fitting is farther inboard, so
there's no hole for the grease fitting on those clamp plates, although I
suspect one could be drilled.

This is a part that I never thought would be needed, so I never saved them,
but towing puts much more stress on this part. That's something I never
thought about when we were building Gary's tow frame.

Anyone got a good one (minimal rust) they'd be willing to sell? If so,
please contact me or Gary.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org
Jim I have a set from that 72 SB that we used for parts if you want them
I'll let you have them just PM me.

Dennis Stiefel