[T3] Beam clamp wanted

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Sep 25 07:14:57 PDT 2013

Looking at Gary Forsmo's '69 square yesterday, it was clear that he
needs a new clamp piece for his front axle beam. This is one of the 2
parts that fit over the front of the beam to clamp it in place.

Gary's has rusted thru at the bottom and towing the car by the axle
beam appears to have pulled it slightly apart. I don't think he
should tow the car again until that part has been replaced.

It's VW part # 311 705 237B. This clamp piece is the same for all
Type 3s from at least late '65-on. It's the one that the upper outer
grease fitting sticks thru. On earlier cars the grease fitting is
farther inboard, so there's no hole for the grease fitting on those
clamp plates, although I suspect one could be drilled.

This is a part that I never thought would be needed, so I never saved
them, but towing puts much more stress on this part. That's something
I never thought about when we were building Gary's tow frame.

Anyone got a good one (minimal rust) they'd be willing to sell? If
so, please contact me or Gary.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org