[T3] Looking for sunroof for '71 fastback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Sep 9 06:24:34 PDT 2013

On 7 Sep 2013 at 14:25, Phil Hof wrote:

> I also see a local roof section in the Samba classifieds.  Is there a
> difference among years?  I think the ones I am seeing are for older
> models.  Mine is a '71.  The ads have a section without the slider
> panel, and another ad for the slider panel.

I don't have any first hand experience with this, so I tried to
research it thru the parts lists. That turns out to be a bit of a
nightmare because of the model designation overlap between Notches
and Fastys. (WHY THE HELL DID VW DO THIS!!!!) A '71 Fasty with
sunroof would have been a model 313, but so would several years of
early Notches....

>From the parts lists a few things become clear:

All Fastys have the same roof shape, but there was some minor change
in the weatherstripping at the start of '71. So if you get a complete
set of parts from SOME year, it should fit and work. It would be
useful to know exactly what year you end up with.

I don't find the water catch tray that is welded under the roof
anywhere, so I'm guessing that it only came as part of the roof.

I can't figure out the water drains and where they go at all. We know
that there are 4 drains and the parts list calls out 4 drain hoses,
but I'm unable to find the rear steel tube that rusts out in the
Fasty C pillar. I would do those with some appropriate HDPE tubing
instead anyway. The parts list calls out 4 water drain hoses to be
cut down to 130 mm, so that may give you an idea of how VW did it.
There were also rubber drain valves at the bottom of each hose, but I
have no idea what those looked like, and you can probably do without
them, especially if you use HDPE tubing instead of steel.

All the working parts, steel panel, guide tracks, cables, etc, from
all models seem to be the same, so I'm GUESSING that the water catch
tray was the same for all models (in the same year.) So you could
probably graft in that portion of a Notch or Squareback roof section
and it would fit.

As for going for parts that are 35 miles away: Go for it. No one here
would ever blame you. For a part this big, local is a BIG plus, and
being able to go and see the parts means that you might also pick up
some associated parts that the owner didn't think of, like the
headliner, headliner bows and clips, water drain hoses and valves.

Good luck with your project, and keep us posted on your progress. A
Samba thread on this would be great to watch.

BTW, for people with sunroofs, I have a large coil of flexible cable,
like that used in speedo cables. It's ideal for cleaning out water
drain tubes, including those in sunroofs and the air vents in front
of the windshield. I can sell it by the foot if anyone wants some.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org