[T3] Charging Voltages

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Apr 2 08:24:04 PDT 2014

On 2 Apr 2014 at 13:40, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> Thanks Jim I have been seeing 13.4 at above idle and have been
> wondering if it's time for a regulator. I have the new/reman Bosch
> generator I got from you installed. I think I have a mechanical
> regulator right now.

As you raise the rpms up, you will see the voltage rise until it
peaks and then levels out. The leveled out voltage is the only
reading that matters; that's when the regulator is regulating.
Depending on WHERE you're measuring the 13.4, that might be low, or
it might be okay.

If this is a regulator you bought from me, it's probably not old
enough to be worn out. OG ones lasted over 20 years, but the later
mechanical replacements only seem to be lasting 15 or 10 years. The
modern solid state ones might last forever, as long as you don't
short something out, in which case them might die instantly. I don't
know enough about them to say.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org