[T3] Generator

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Apr 11 16:55:57 PDT 2014

On 12 Apr 2014 at 7:33, Ross Clarke wrote:

> I have a 1966 type 3 fast back. Originally the car was 6 volt however was converted to 12 volt many years ago.
>
> The converted generator has now died and I am thinking of installing a later 30 amp 12 volt unit.
>
> I have been told the existing air ducting support needs also to be changed to the later system to carry the larger 30 amp unit.
>
> Can the existing 1966 ducting be altered to fit the 30 amp unit?

There are 2 different diameters of Type 3 generators. IIRC, they are
90 and 105 mm. If your current generator is the smaller diameter, you
will need to replace your fan housing with a later one that has a
saddle that has the proper radius for the later generator. I suppose
it might be possible to remove your current fan housing and have a
machine shop cut a larger radius. I don't know if there is enough
meat there, but you should be able to inspect it and see. If you
decide to do this, remember that it needs to be machined with the new
radius and old radius on the same center.

Frankly, I'd expect that finding a later fan housing would be much
easier than getting your old one modified, but I don't know how easy
it is to find Type 3 salvage parts Down Under. I have several of
those housings here, but shipping from the US would be prohibitive.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org