[T3] Sticky starter

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Apr 19 19:59:27 PDT 2014

On 19 Apr 2014 at 20:51, Keith Park wrote:

> Intersting, and that was an AT starter, with the bushing integral to the
> unit.  Well iVe used 2 different starters with the same problem, Im
> wondering if maybe it's the flywheel?  Hopefully Ill get some time to noodle
> with it this week before winter returns again, (hopefully without snow this
> time)

In my case, the ring gear was fine. My problem was definitely in the
starter, but ring gear burrs are always a possibility. You should be
able to feel for any unusual roughness there.

> Im wonderin if letting the engine throw the bendix loose is causing any
> problems?  Id think not although its not the ideal situation.

I agree that this should not be a problem, as long as the engine
actually throws the starter out and it stops.

I was once asked to fix a car where the starter had remained engaged
while driving. When I opened the starter up, there was nothing inside
except for copper colored "sand." The armature had exploded and
everything inside the housing had been ground up into little bits. I
closed it back up and sent it off to Bosch as a core....

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org