[T3] that's it

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Aug 8 06:38:51 PDT 2014

On 7 Aug 2014 at 17:54, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> Well, it looks like this is it.  Lloyd totally punked out on me and just
> walked away from The Baroness.  I have no one now to work on her, and I
> can't do it myself.  So it looks like I'm done :(

I understand that Lloyd seemed like a big help to you, but my
impression is that he knew buses, not Type 3s. It's common to assume
that someone who understands one kind of car would also be good on
others, but this is often untrue.

You need to find someone who actually knows and LIKES Type 3. There
are dozens of VW shops in your area, and they all work on Bugs. Most
of them also work on Buses, but few are knowledgeable about Type 3s.
If you just ask them if they work on Type 3s, they will always say
yes; they'll do it, but they often won't like it, AND they won't be
good at it. Good mechanics who acually know and like Type 3s are out
there, but they are rare. You'll have to ask other Type 3 owners for
their recommendations.

Be glad you're not in the same position with a Type 4. They would be
even harder to get good service for.

The Samba is a good place to inquire. Mentioning your exact location
here on this list is a good way to start. Don't assume that we all
just somehow know where you are. I believe you're somewhere in So.
Cal. but that's still a lot of miles.

Let me also add that there's no reason you can't do much of this work
yourself. I wouldn't suggest that you start with an engine rebuild,
but start small and study the Bentley. It's all about the ability to
study, think, observe, and learn. And the willingness to get your
hands dirty (or buy a box of gloves.) For the most part, the tools
you need will be cheap compared to the cost of a good mechanic.

Finally, can you tell us what you found when you got your engine
apart?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org