[T3] Jim, Marigold's savior

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Aug 30 13:46:08 PDT 2014

On 30 Aug 2014 at 9:58, Phil Hof wrote:

> I want to give a huge shout out to Jim, who gave so much to a Type 3
> owner in need.  That was a LOT of work, and his selflessness is an
> inspiration to the rest of us.  Thanks, Jim!

It WAS a lot of work, but I don't want to take any more credit for it
than I'm due. Work I do at the Invasions is usually free, although I
try to get a fair price for parts, but Sarah understood before she
came here that I'd be charging her for both labor and parts. This
will cost her a LOT once I work out a total, but she also got free
room and board out of it, although she repaid us with a couple of
nice meals at local watering holes.

> It´s also a lesson that 90% of the problems with these cars turns out
> to be prior owner mistakes.

This comment is right on the money. 40-50 years of ignorance, abuse,
and just getting by will take its toll on any car, and nitch vehicles
like Type 3s are even worse, because of poor parts availability and
even worse availability of good mechanics.

One of the really big advantages of working here at my house is the
availability of parts. Everything Marigold needed was found in my
basement, with the exception of those flex alum air hoses that the
aftermarket exhaust systems use.

> I struggled on my own for years, learning the hard way.  These two
> resources, and people like Jim and the late Russ, show us there are
> people who love these cars and have a generous heart as well.  I´d
> like to think the rest of these on this list would do the same.  I
> would strive to should the need arise.

Well, Phil, if you'll come to the next invasion, I'm sure we can find
you that opportunity.   ;-)

>From '68, when I bought my first Squareback to the time this list
started, I was on my own, too. I found some local people with VW
experience that was valuable and some parts sources, but I never
became part of any VW community until Greg started this list.

Thanks, Greg!

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org