[T3] Jim, Marigold's savior

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Aug 30 18:07:53 PDT 2014

In a message dated 8/30/2014 4:46:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

On 30 Aug 2014 at 9:58, Phil Hof wrote:

> I want to give  a huge shout out to Jim, who gave so much to a Type 3
> owner in  need.  That was a LOT of work, and his selflessness is an
>  inspiration to the rest of us.  Thanks, Jim!

It WAS a lot of  work, but I don't want to take any more credit for it
than I'm due. Work I  do at the Invasions is usually free, although I
try to get a fair price  for parts, but Sarah understood before she
came here that I'd be charging  her for both labor and parts. This
will cost her a LOT once I work out a  total, but she also got free
room and board out of it, although she repaid  us with a couple of
nice meals at local watering holes.

> It´s  also a lesson that 90% of the problems with these cars turns out
> to be  prior owner mistakes.

This comment is right on the money. 40-50 years  of ignorance, abuse,
and just getting by will take its toll on any car,  and nitch vehicles
like Type 3s are even worse, because of poor parts  availability and
even worse availability of good mechanics.

One of  the really big advantages of working here at my house is the
availability  of parts. Everything Marigold needed was found in my
basement, with the  exception of those flex alum air hoses that the
aftermarket exhaust  systems use.

>From '68, when I bought my first Squareback to the time  this list
started, I was on my own, too. I found some local people with VW
experience that was valuable and some parts sources, but I never
became part of any VW community until Greg started this  list.

Thanks, Greg!

Credit goes out to BOTH of you (Jim and Sarah), as she found someone
willing to do the work, and Jim found someone who needed all those parts in  the
basement he'd been hoarding. ;-) It took a commitment for the 2 of you, as
I'm sure you were helping her every step of the way, even though she was
doing  the work. Great job Jim.

And I'll agree that this list, more than anything, got me more involved
with the VW community (and meeting people like Jim, Russ, Keith, Brian and
Toby, along with a bunch of others thru the years). I'd been doing my own work
 since 1989, but going to shows in a type 3 meant you and maybe 1 other car
 were representing the mark. Later on, John J. started bringing his type
3, so now there were 3 type 3s at a show. It certainly was like that in  the
90's. :O Thanks Greg!!

And yes, I do have to agree that with these cars getting up there in  age,
the lack of people who can actually work on them has declined. Add in the
lack of quality parts being produced, we're finding a shortage of good used
or  rebuildable parts to use.

64 T-34 Ghia aka  Wolfie