[T3] Type 3 VS Type 4 Final Drive

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 2 15:13:58 PST 2014

Adam,

I've checked and it appears that I have complete final drive gasket
sets (doesn't include the output shaft seals) for $20 as well as just
the paper gasket between the final drive and the AT for $10. Shipping
would be on top of that.

I have a mix of gaskets however, and since I've never been this far
into an AT, I'm not completely sure I'm looking at the right part. I
have gaskets that are about ~7.25" OD and very similar ones that are
~8" OD. I suspect the smaller ones are the Type 3 ones, but measure
what you have and let me know so we can be sure.

The final drive gasket sets include a couple of large paper gaskets,
2 small paper gaskets for the '69 ATs with the final drive covers, an
O-ring for the governor cover and another much larger O-ring that I'm
not sure where it goes.

I also have complete AT gasket sets for $55. These have LOTs of
little bits and pieces, but do not include any of the
metal-with-rubber-lip shaft seals. They DO include all the simple
rubber piston seals.

The output shaft oil seals should be something you can find locally,
since they were probably used in lots of VWs from that era.

Let me know what you'd like to do.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org