[T3] Type 3 VS Type 4 Final Drive

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 2 21:22:10 PST 2014

Adam,

I got your email. It sounds like you need the smaller gasket, but I
suggest that you buy the complete final drive set. See below for why.

In the process of trying to figure out which gasket you needed, I've
been studying the Bentley section on the final drive in more detail
than I've ever gone before. I've learned a few things. To wit:

The light metal final drive housing is the part you need, but all the
critical adjustments are done in the cast iron differential carrier.

The differential carrier is easily removed from the final drive
housing without affecting any of its internal adjustments.

There were 2 different versions of output shafts, with different
splines, so it MAY not be possible to simply swap the output shafts
from one final drive to the other.

Therefore, it seems to me that your best option, is to keep your
differential and swap it into the "new" final drive housing. This
preserves your Type 3 final drive ratio AND assures you that your
Type 3 output shaft splines will match.

Removing the differential carrier only requires that you remove the
governor and the 2 output shafts, but you were probably going to
remove all those anyway. The remaining hex nuts should be no problem,
and all the gaskets you need come in the final drive set.

I really didn't expect it to be this easy. The only hard part might
be to see if you can save your old governor, or at least the relevant
parts of it. At least you have replacements for most of the parts, if
necessary.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org