[T3] BBbbrrrrrr!

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Tue Jan 7 17:19:25 PST 2014

I had the Golf out at -12 the other morning, 12 year old battery is still
going well, the Golf seems happy in the bitter cold and as long as I have
heat I know the radiator is still filled enough.  No leaks in the RTV repair
so far.

I don't usually have problems with the cars till it gets to at least -20,
which it seldom does.  Even the Square did well at those temps back when I
drove it year round, but in those days it had 10W30 in it in the winter
time.  That 25W50 must really be molasses now!

Keith

I had to go out later this morning, after it warmed up to -8, and  the Geo
really didn't like rolling over. I'm running 10W40 in it (like I do in  the
type 3s), and it was turning over hard. At least the battery was fully
charged (drove it yesterday when temps were above 0). It did finally start,
but
the blower motor and belts sure didn't want to go at that temp. As I drove
around, it sounded like the rubber bushings were groaning too. This is the
coldest I've ever driven this car, and I don't think it really liked it.

64 T-34 Ghia aka Wolfie
71  Square-vert under  construction