[T3] BBbbrrrrrr!

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 20:33:38 PST 2014

>A friend of mine put a clear-bra on his DD type-2 a few years ago.
>He drives on the same crappy roads that I do. And all year round as well.
>His nose still looks great. So I had a clear bra applied to the KG I'm
building.
>You can see the edges (partly due to the dark paint color)
>but I'm hoping it will save the paint over time..

>Max Welton

Max.  If you are talking about the Diamond Shield or 3M clear film, you may
want to reconsider.
We had the 3M film installed on our motor home several years ago by a
factory authorized supplier in Elkhart.
It looked great for the first few years.  Prevented paint chips, pretty
well, also.
But ...
A year or two  after the 5-year warranty expired, mold began to affect the
edges.  Now it has migrated several inches between the backside of the film
and the paint. It's gotten really ugly.  And almost impossible to remove.
 We've tried a heat gun, lacquer thinner, 3M Adhesive Remover, paint
thinner, Goof Off, and several other liquids.  Nothing removes it except
physically "stretching" it off.  And then it only comes off in very small
pieces.  A real big job and a mess.

I would NEVER ever use a product like this again.

I would rather live with the chips and repaint every few years.

--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)