[T3] Type 3 VS Type 4 Final Drive

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 9 18:43:45 PST 2014

> Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 11:11:43 -0800
> From: one4house at yahoo.com
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Subject: Re: [T3] Type 3 VS Type 4 Final Drive
>
> Well, I got the transmission today. It is an EM case which means 3.91 gearing.
>
> While I am here at home I decided to pull the output shafts off to see if the type 3 are the same spline count. To my surprise they slid right in...

Good to see!

> Now I am in a debate with myself. Part of me wants to run it with the 3.91 gears and see what happens to performance, mileage and temperature.

Are you willing to pull to make a correction if need be? ;-|

> The other side of me wants to throw in the other differential and play it safe........but safe is not fun.

Plus, you would learn something you most likely not forget.

> I will think it over the rest of my work day and make a decision this evening. Regardless I will have to replace some seals in the new case before I do anything. We will see.
>
> Thoughts?

I.I.R.C., your take off speed will increase, but highway R.P.M. will be increased. My knowledge comes form Mercedes owners going from 3.07 to 2.88 differentials to reduce R.P.M. while on the highway. So, might consider what most of your driving is. Mine is mostly highway, so thankful mine came stock with the 2.88 and since I have driven an air-cooled V.W., don't think she is slow. ;-)

Hope this helps,
Adriel