[T3] pop-out windows on a fastback

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Fri Jan 10 22:50:23 PST 2014

On the ’71 the holes are there, as stated.  They are too large for a screw to get a good bite on them as-is, since the maximum thread size is limited by the hole in the latch end.  So some sort of reinforcement is required.  I actually tried it before I know better, and in only a few operations, the windows would neither stay fully open nor fully closed.  I used small wood blocks to hold them open, and a bungee cord from side to side to hold them together, closed.  So when it came time to restore Clemmie, I know I had to do something to make the mounting secure.  Those screws take a lot of force in the open position, trying to rip them out.  Alex came up with the nut-backed plate idea, in preference to rivet-nuts or other pop-in solutions.  Since I needed a new headliner, it was easy to take care of this while it was stripped out.
The small holed for the frame pegs (a third of the way from front to back) were also in the window opening bodywork.  I believe that is all that holds it together.  The rest of the rubber and frame installs much like regular fixed-glass.
Like in my Bugs, the pop outs allow for relatively quiet airflow through the car even at low speeds, if you crack the vent wings and open the pop-outs.  And when parked in the sun, the car stays far cooler with them open, yet the car is secure.
Once you solve the nut plate problem, the rest of the installation is pretty straightforward.  I think ISP West has instructions for the seals on their site, but I could not find them recently when I briefly looked.
I don’t have pictures of the early model hinge area, though.
-Phil