[T3] Axle Beam Clamp Replacement

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Jan 14 18:05:27 PST 2014

I've removed several front beams without recalling any special problems.
I'm pretty sure I would have undone the clamps first, and then the upper
bolts.   If a nut or bolt looks rusty I'll squirt some easing fluid on it.
I usually tweak it a fraction tighter to break the grip, and then undo.
Sometimes if it starts to tighten while undoing, I'll add a bit more fluid
and do up a turn or two then try again.

VW bolts back then generally seem to undo without major problems - better
than the '80s cars and later.

Use metric wrenches (preferably 6-point sockets if you have them).

Good luck,
Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club