[T3] ZDDP options

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Thu Jan 16 06:30:41 PST 2014

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - Located in Coastal San Diego County
1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TD-T - Dog Wgn
Master's Student, A.S.U., living in north central Mesa, AZ

I have tried explaining this in the past, but seems it didn't get through...

Diesels have had exhaust treatment since 1985, which of course started in
Comufornia. An example of this is my 1985 300TD-T California version which
had a early design of soot filter called a trap oxidizer, but now has a
catalytic oxidizer which doesn't have near the issues and robs tad less
performance. Basically it is a can with honeycomb of material that either
scrubbed (trap) or oxidizes.I actually am one of only a handful that prefers
having this, as the rest convert to an exhaust without. I actually based my
purchase decision on her having this, as care about our environment.

Side note: In about 1987, Mercedes started having trap oxidizers ceramic
innards breaking apart with most causing turbo damage. This led to a recall
that was supposed to replace the entire exhaust system, including either a
strait pipe or oxidizer, and the turbo if it showed damage. Dealers being
what they are took advantage of the  wording and many just dumped the shards
out of the turbo and then when the turbo finally gave out, had the owner pay
for the replacement, including for labor that had been already done! Nice,
huh? So not everything the E.P.A. demands (while trouncing liberty) works...

These anti-soot devices have now gotten to the point they are so fine of a
soot filter the metals and sulfur is plugging them up, so Z.D.D.P. has been
drastically cut back. I.I.R.C., the urea doesn't work properly either, which
is the second option for reducing soot levels.  so CI+4 and CJ is the
current meeting this demand. So, diesel oil will not have the 1970's levels
of Z.D.D.P.
as this current specification, which was the first change since the
aforementioned circa. Eventually, diesel oil will go the way of gasser oil.
;(

I wouldn't believe Engle too much as if their camshaft wears out sooner,
then one would have to replace it sooner, were as the oil companies be glad
to put less additives in and charge the same price. Now if I saw an
independent study, most defiantly would reconsider. In this society, got to
follow the money!

In the end, all both sides have been able to show is conjecture. But, with
engines running 500,000 plus, I am not going to risk it!

Thank you so very much!
Adriel
Sorry Adriel  guess I missed that post.  I kind of figured that they was
something different about the cats on the diesel as compared to the gas.
Soot filters or catcher, man don't get me started on that. A lot of the
newer diesels have the whole urea set up on them now for soot.

Dennis