[T3] 034 on Squareback

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Tue Jan 21 06:55:05 PST 2014

Currently there is a Mexico 009 installed on my duel Solex Squareback.
It idles great, timing is right on. It bogs down if you try to ease up to
speed. It is great WOT or once cruising at speed.
I am going to install a German SVDA 034 into it next and see if I can dial
it in correctly.
First I have to pull the distributor drive gear and re-position it correctly
for the SVDA.
If that does not provide a better curve, I will next rebuild an earlier
stock VW/Bosch distributor off of a duel-carburetor T-3.
Like 009's, the new 034's are all over the place as far as build and
quality. Some will perform better than others. If you can get hold of, or
use, a genuine German manufactured Bosch unit, you will at least have
quality. They can always be rebuilt and perform like new.
Brion S.S. Utah

I've had the same issue with running an 009 on some of the beetles with
stock 1600 DP I have had over the years. But I ran one on clementine back
when I was running a 1641 with a progressive Webber and slightly bigger cam
in her. It ran great with that set up.

Dennis Stiefel
72 Fastback FI MT
Rainsville AL