[T3] changing tire size

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jan 21 21:25:02 PST 2014

On 21 Jan 2014 at 22:25, Bobbokush at aol.com wrote:

> my rims are not stock, would those tires still fit, ? would the larger
> tires affect the ride, which is wonderful now.

Start by finding out what your rim width is now, then check to see if
this is an allowable width for the tires you want to put on. Then
check your clearances to make sure you don't end up with something
that's undrivable. Mounting tires that are too wide for the rims will
actually degrade the handling.

If you end up having to buy new wheels, too, check to see what the
offset is, because the offset is likely to be different and not put
the tire where you expected it.

MANY years ago, I had some 185s on the rear, and IIRC, those barely
cleared the fender. Those were on stock 4.5" rims and they were the
old standard profile tires. I believe those were the widest tires
allowable on that width rim. Unfortunately, they pushed the rear end
way high and made the car too tall and wobbly. That was back in 1974,
and low profile tires weren't available in the sizes they are now.

I know that extremely low profile tires are all the rage now, but I'm
not among their fans. Our Jetta came with 55 series tires, and my
daughter hit a pothole over Christmas. That bent one wheel and
destroyed one tire. There's a second tire that is probably damaged
enough that it's days are numbered. The cost for that single incident
was over $500, not counting the second tire.

A higher profile wheel and tire might have survived. I would pay
extra to move UP in tire profile in a new car, but the only options
these days is to move down.

If the roads in your area are always smooth and flat, this may not be
something you need to worry about, but in areas where there is winter
and potholes, low profile tires are a real gift to the tire shops.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org